Wednesday, September 14, 2011

The Space


Even as I write this blog entry, it is unique in its own right because it is a different type of writing. I am writing for an audience. I am writing for technically anyone to see. I am no longer just writing for my teacher, or myself but I have to now consider how my words sound to my classmates, my friends, my family, or whoever may want to read this. Because after all, once it is catalogued in the mysterious inter-webs of the World Wide Web— it is in there forever. It is so different from writing, pen or pencil in hand on a tangible sheet of paper, and so different than writing personal reflections in a journal.
                                                I want to sound personal, but not too personal.
                                                                                                                   I think.
Yet at the same time, it’s not different at all. Essentially, whatever I think or want to say I can still write it down. Just now, writing turns into typing. And thoughts can turn into website links or pictures.
The space of the blog is unlimited. I can post and post and post away to my hearts content and there will still be room for more. Is that not baffling? It is a virtual archive that will always be there for me to reference, always in my grasp yet I can never actually touch it.

However in the blink of an eye and the click of a button I can permanently erase every word I have ever written.

No comments:

Post a Comment